Lead.... Like a Girl



I am proud to say that I am a Woman and a Leader.  While I wish these two words were synonymous, I work really hard to be a good example for my daughter so that she grows up to see that woman can have a seat at the table, whichever table they choose to be at.


Starting this month, I am proud to say that I am leading a statewide organization of professionals - over 250 members strong - to do great things.  I have been a part of this organization for over 8 years, and it is truly an honor to serve as the President of the local chapter.

What I love, is that I have involved my daughter for years in this organization.  She knows the purpose, what we do, and why it is so important to me.  When I went for a certification program offered by it, she was there, cheering me on from the sidelines (and giving me peace and quiet so I could study).  She was sitting in my cubicle the day I received the email saying I passed (and gave me the biggest hug a mom could ever want).  She has attended a board meeting, so she could see mommy at her finest, leading this great group of people.  She has even attended a charity music event, and sang her heart out to Joan Jett on karaoke.

All of these things matter to her own development, even if she doesn't know it yet.  Her involvement in the organization is so vital as she is exposed to the many women in leadership positions, and she is able to see  the voice we have, and how we affect change.  She also sees how much time, energy and passion I give to make it successful.  You can't just say you want to be a leader, you have to embody it, from the inside out.

As a woman, I lead with compassion, care and thoughtfulness.  But I also lead with fairness, equality, and openness.  These qualities are what make a great leader.

So as my daughter grows up, and learns to lead in her own activities, she is learning valuable skills:  to put time, energy and passion into her activities.

But above all else, she will learn from the example I am setting this year and how to: Lead...Like a Girl.


What qualities do you think make up a great leader that should be passed on?

 photo signature_zps731db56a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love to read what you have to say so keep them coming!