6 Reasons I am Thankful for Being a Mil-Spouse



We take so many things for granted in our life, and as a mil-spouse, I often forget the good things that come with being a part of the military community.  Too often, its easy to get in the rut of complaining about the things going wrong that we forget to say what we are thankful for.

Here is my list of what I appreciate:

Healthcare - despite the protests and lack of choice, I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to pay for private health insurance.  If I get sick, I go see a doctor.  It's simple.  Health insurance in the private sector is much more complicated.  So yes, we have to call a nurse line, but it could be so.much.worse.

Stability - ok, there is a LOT of instability with the military, but there is also a lot of stability, too.  Your spouse has a steady paycheck, you know (kinda, sorta) how long you may (or may not) be at a base, and the military life is rather predictable (in its unpredictable way).  The financial stability alone has allowed my family the ability to make some great long-term plans for after retirement for Kevin and I.  We own three houses, can send our daughter to college already, and contribute to 401K plans.  All before age 35.  If that's not stability, I don't know what is.

Comradery - we're all in this together; for better or worse; thick as thieves.  You've heard them all, but its true.  There is nothing like the military life.  Its not to say I don't have many friends outside of the mil-community, but the mil-spouses tend to share a special bond, an understanding and we support one another with it.

Retirement - yes, I'm appreciative of retirement planning.  My husband has a mere 4 years before he is eligible for retirement.  We are still young, lively, and he can take on a second career without worry about the risk in changing jobs.  I also appreciate, once again, the healthcare benefits that will continue through his retirement.  The future is not a guarantee, but this at least makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Patriotism - Our country is full of proud, patriotic men and women, but I find that the military community takes it a step further.  They will post an American Flag outside their door 365 days a year (instead of the customary holidays), they will drop everything when they hear the national anthem, and you can be sure they will sacrifice anything for their country.  And do.  Take a look around any military base and you have a different sense of pride for our great nation.

Adventures - I'm a firm believer that life is a journey - you can either close your eyes and hide your head in your knees, or you can throw your hands in the air and enjoy the ride.  The military is the perfect place to throw your hands up, give up a little control, and see where life takes you.  Some of my scariest moments have been when I felt I lost control, but everything happens for a reason.  Instead, things have worked out for the best and the adventure was worth it.



I may be one that doesn't always see the bright side of the military.  The moves, the distance, and the long hours are easy for me to focus on.  But instead, I try to keep things in perspective.  The military provides a lot of benefits to those who embrace them.  So embrace the journey, the craziness, and all that comes with it.  Because the ride is worth it.



 photo signature_zps731db56a.png

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love to read what you have to say so keep them coming!